Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Accountability

Alright, it's been several weeks since I started my new job and even longer since I began my stressful job transition. Before that period started I was on a pretty healthy schedule as far as exercise and diet went. When things got rough at work some of that discipline went out the window. During my two weeks off I did develop a helpful habit of keeping up on the household chores when Kimberly wasn't around. Now this has faded. In the past couple of months I've been practicing my bass more than at any other point in my life, including when I was in college, but I've barely touched it this week. It's definitely time for me to hoist myself back up to par.

Here is the ambitious list of things that I want to develop or redevelop as regular disciplines in the next couple weeks:

1) Exercise/run 4-5 times a week.
2) Count and journal calories.
3) Keep a modest and accurate budget.
4) Spend at least a half an hour a day with God, in scripture, meditation, or prayer. (This would be a totally new discipline for me.)
5) Spend at least a half an hour a day playing my bass or another instrument.
6) Plan at least one night a week to be outside the house with the sole purpose of spending time with Kimberly (be it a 20 minute walk or a dinner date).

I mention these things here to have some semi-public accountability. I'll make sure to note my progress or failure here every week.

Wish me luck...

3 comments:

Kimberly Pye said...

Don't be too hard on yourself about not playing bass this week. You do have to spend some time with Harry. When that's all over, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting back to music.

I like your last one; it's sweet. :-)

Dan said...

Yeah Harry is a bad influence, too. If he practiced his magic like Hermione, he'd have knocked off Voldemort at the end of The Goblet of Fire.

Anonymous said...

I'd be willing to help you with the personal time thing, if you can help me! I can do 1.5 hours per week, and the same on practicing! Sound good?